The Philadelphia area has some of the greatest roast pork sandwiches around. I was simply craving a delicious roast pork sandwich with garlicky broccoli rabe, so I decided to make my own. I adapted the recipe for the roast pork from Tony Luke’s Italian Roast Pork Sandwiches recipe. I’m so glad I found this recipe, because it was delicious. Served on a fresh Italian roll with slices of sharp provolone and broccoli rabe, it was (dare I say) better than the real deal. There was even some roast pork leftover that I was able to throw into a pasta dish. It was just too good to go to waste. Enjoy!
Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
1 (about 2 1/2 pound) pork loin or shoulder (I used a boneless loin)
3 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 1/2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large bunch broccoli rabe, stalks removed and chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
6-8 slices of sharp provolone
6-8 long Italian rolls
For Roast Pork:
1. Heat crockpot on HIGH heat. Score top and bottom of pork with a knife.
2. Mix together garlic, rosemary, parsley, salt, pepper and olive oil. Rub all over pork. Place in crock pot and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes. Turn heat to LOW and cook for another 6-8 hours or until pork is fork tender.
3. Remove any fat and shred pork using two forks. Stir pork to coat in the juices that have been created. Keep warm.
For Broccoli Rabe:
1. In a medium pot, add 2 cups water and the broccoli rabe. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover, salt the water and continue boiling for 5-7 minutes. The broccoli rabe should no longer have a bitter taste. Drain the water and remove the broccoli rabe.
2. Add olive oil to the pot and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the broccoli rabe and sauté in the oil for another 3-4 minutes.
1. If not already, cut the rolls lengthwise. Place a piece of provolone on the roll, followed by some roast pork and then some broccoli rabe on top. Serve hot.