My family has a great stuffed mushroom recipe using bread crumbs, the mushroom stems and Italian dressing. And, don’t get me wrong, those are delicious and I look forward to them every holiday. However, sometimes a little change is good. Made with a cream cheese base, these mushrooms are creamy and have so much flavor. With essentially all the same flavors of a loaded baked potato (cheddar cheese, bacon, chives) just stuffed in a mushroom. A little more low carb, though, if you will. My husband and his family approved of the recipe, so I now share it with you :). Make the first bite count!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
1 pound fresh white mushrooms
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon chives, finely chopped
Freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use a damp paper towel and brush any excess dirt off mushrooms. Remove the stems and discard. Place the caps on a small baking sheet.
3. Place cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for about 15-20 seconds just to soften and make it easier to mix. Add the cheddar cheese, bacon, parmesan cheese, chives and some pepper and stir to combine.
4. Place about 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of cream cheese filling in each mushroom. It’s better to go on the lighter side, as you can always add more if you have extra. Also, if you overstuff the mushrooms, the filling will melt out in the oven.
5. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.